Hanoi to Hoa Lu Ninh Binh | Transports + Tickets (2019 Updated)
Hanoi to Hoa Lu transportation would be the next thing to consider after spotting some destinations for your trip to the ancient capital. Now, you may wonder which transportation is suitable for you.
Understand the difficulty of planning a trip in another country, we – Original Hoa Lu Tam Coc is here to help you make the best choice with the complete guide on how to get to Hoa Lu from Hanoi. Read on and don’t forget useful local tips at the bottom of this post!
Distance from Hanoi to Hoa Lu
First, you may want to know how far from Hanoi to Hoa Lu.
Located about 100 kilometers from Hanoi, Hoa Lu is the ancient capital of Vietnam, a perfect combination of culture-historical site and natural scenic landscapes.
Coming to Hoa Lu, you can have a chance to explore the temples worshiping the Kings of Vietnam, learn about Vietnamese culture and immerse in the impressive natural scenery surrounding.
Thanks to the developed traffic system, the route from Hanoi to Hoa Lu is easy to go by any means of transportation. And it will take you around 2 to 3 hours traveling from the center of Hanoi depending on your vehicle.
Important note: Getting to Hoa Lu by public transportations, you will stop at Ninh Binh then traveling from Ninh Binh to Hoa Lu by taxi or motorbike.
If you don’t want to pay much time on transporting, consider booking a Hoa Lu tour that includes transportation. With this way, you won’t have to worry much and enjoy your trip to the fullest
>> Book Hoa Lu Tam Coc day trip for the best convenience
1. Hanoi to Hoa Lu train
Traveling by train is safe, cheap and enjoyable!
As I said above, the train will stop at Ninh Binh railway station. You will spend 2.5 hours traveling by train and enjoying the beautiful scenery of Vietnam rural countryside through the glass windows. It’s a great way to start your trip to Hoa Lu ancient capital
There’re 6 daily trains running from Hanoi to Ninh Binh, depart at Hanoi Railway Station (120 Le Duan Street) and arrive at Ninh Binh Railway Station (1 Hoang Hoa Tham Street). These trains are comfortable and serving food and snack on board
The price is varied based on which kind of seat you choose, ranging from under 100.000 VND to 200.000 VND for a one-way ticket
It’s recommended to choose the soft seat with air conditioner for the best experience
You can buy the ticket directly in the Hanoi station at Le Duan Street or booking online on their official website and receive e-ticket/e-boarding pass. It’s not compulsory but you should print it out along with your identification paper to show to the train’s staffs. If you buy it directly, remember to bring your passport or identification paper too.
Some notes for you
- You should arrive at the train station 15 to 30 minutes before departing. Remember to check the train and rail’s number as well as the gate on your ticket. For support, please ask the staffs wearing the dark blue uniform.
- Basically, you can travel from Hanoi to Ninh Binh in anytime in a day but it’s recommended to take the early train SE7 from 6:00 am. Then you will reach Ninh Binh at around 8:00 am and travel to Hoa Lu – a great time to start your journey here!
After reaching Ninh Binh, you will head to Hoa Lu in 2 two ways:
- Taxi from Ninh Binh railway station to Hoa Lu takes around 15 minutes and 150.000 – 200.000 VND for the 12.5-kilometer-drive to the final destination
- Motorbike rented from many stores in front of the railway station. The cost is around 100.000 – 150.000 VND/motorbike/day not include gasoline. You will need google map and “skill” to get to Hoa Lu. If not, this way’s not recommended for you
2. Hanoi to Hoa Lu bus
Bus from Hanoi to Ninh Binh is another good choice as it’s quick and reasonable. The time on Hanoi – Ninh Binh bus is approximately 2 to 3 hours, depending on the traffic.
You can easily book a bus ticket online or through a phone call or buy directly at the bus stations/ bus agencies. As booking the train ticket online, remember to carry the e-ticket your mobile phone or have them print to show the staff when boarding the bus. The range of bus is wide and so is the price, you can choose the best suitable bus with these recommendations:
Bus stations in Hanoi:
- Giap Bat bus station – 6 Giai Phong street, Hoang Mai district
- Yen Nghia bus station – Highway 6, Ha Dong district
- Nuoc Ngam bus station – 1 Ngoc Hoi street, Hoang Mai district
- My Dinh bus station – 20 Pham Hung street, My Dinh district
Some most popular bus agencies: Hoang Long, Queen Cafe, Group tour, Non Nuoc Ninh Binh,…
The price based on kind of seats:
- Around 200.000 VND (10 US$)/person for limousine
- Around 100.000 VND (5 US$)/person for berth-seat bus
- From 100.000 VND (5 US$)/person or to 150.000 VND (97 US$)/person for soft-seat bus (depending on the type of bus).
The departure time from 7:00 to around 19:00. You should take the early bus to make the most of your time in Hoa Lu Ninh Binh as the duration will be shortened avoiding rush hours
Some notes for you
- Some bus agencies have pick-up service as they pick up and drop off at the arranged destinations. So choose a bus that most convenient for you. Or else, catch the bus at bus stations.
- Yes getting from Hanoi to Hoa Lu Ninh Binh by bus can save time and money but you may deal with some disadvantages. Sometimes, bus drivers will try to get as many customers as possible on a bus and it will make you uncomfortable. In some situations, the drivers can charge you more than what you should pay so deal the price before hopping on the bus! To avoid this situation, consider Hoa Lu tours that cover all the transportation.
- Come to the bus station 15 minutes to 30 minutes earlier than the departure time. You will miss the bus if arrive late as the bus schedule is fixed.
After getting to Ninh Binh, you can travel to Hoa Lu by the 2 ways above.
Usually, the bus will arrive at Ninh Binh bus station (Some pick-up-drop-off bus can stop near the final destination). The bus station is 13 kilometers from Hoa Lu so the price is almost the same. And around the bus station has motorbike-rented stores too. If you want to be sure, find and contact the store beforehand!
3. Hanoi to Hoa Lu Private Car
Obviously, this is the most convenient and comfortable way of traveling. And moreover, you can directly get to Hoa Lu as well as travel to many other destinations around.
You can arrange the most suitable pick-up location and time, the car’s type and more. So it will help you save much time traveling between spots and make the best of Ninh Binh in a day!
Of course, the price is higher than any other transportation. If you travel in a small group (under 10 people), it is a bit pricey but if you travel in a large group (more than 15 people), it can be much cheaper than traveling by bus or train. So with large groups, private car is still the best option
If you wish to rent a private car, there are many operators in Hanoi. Usually, you should book a tour including the private car. The local experts from operators can help you out with the free itinerary planning that makes the most of Hoa Lu as well as Ninh Binh. From the local view, the plan is more logical and appropriate.
Also, note down the price! The price depends on each agency so it varied quite a lot. A package for a round-trip cost around 1.000.000 – 1.500.000 VND (50 – 75 US$) for a 4-seated car and from 2.000.000 – 3.000.000 VND (100 – 150 US$) for a 29-seated bus.
Some notes for you
- Double check the car and contract in order to avoid scam. The price should include all the insurance, fuel fee and other fees. Or else, you can be charged more after arriving Ninh Binh. In conclusion, choose a reliable agency!
- Some agencies provide English-speaking drivers, ask them if you need.
4. Hanoi to Hoa Lu by motorbike
The motorbike route from Hanoi to Hoa Lu is quite easy. You just need google map and 3G/4G to find out the way.
If you love adventure and want to enjoy the charming beauty of Vietnamese rural area with peaceful villages, lush green rice paddies, grandiose mountains, poetic rivers along the road, then choose the motorbike. Head directly to Hoa Lu ancient capital as well as many famous attractions in your own schedule.
The route basically follows the National Highway 1A to the North and keep an eye on milestones on the road. As mention, use you google map!
To rent a motorbike, there are many places such as hotels, travel agents and store in Hanoi Old Quarter and around the city with the price ranges from 100.000 VND to 300.000 VND depend on the motorbike type. If you rent for days, the price can be lower.
Note for you: Not everyone can travel by motorbike. And if you can, there’re still so many things to consider as we will put in the tips at the bottom of this post. So check it out!
5. Local Tips
- If you travel in national holidays or peak seasons, the price will rise and you should book in advance days before departure.
- Arrive on time at train or bus stations as the schedule is fixed and they’ll not wait for you
- Not to rent car or motorbike if there’s no contract or certification paper. Be careful of “so-cheap” one as you can get a poor condition vehicle or get into a scam!
- Traveling from Ninh Binh center to Hoa Lu by taxi, choose a metered taxi to avoid overcharge. Taxi Mai Linh, Taxi Hoa Lu, Taxi Ninh Binh, Taxi Minh Long are some reliable brands. Or else, you can deal with the driver about the price range said above.
- In order to rent a motorbike, you have to bring your copies of identification paper or passport and make a contract. Usually, you will need to deposit. Remember to keep carefully the related paper and check the motorbike’s condition before renting. You can ask for the new model to avoid some technical problems may happen on your trip.
- Important add on, you must have the International Driving Permit or else you may get some troubles with Ninh Binh traffic cops. And don’t forget to spot your destinations on the map and keep an eye on milestones along the road
And it’s all you need to know about “How to get to Hoa Lu?”. If you still unsure and want to find a safe and enjoyable way, feel free to contact us, Original Hoa Lu Tam Coc, for more information and advice. We’d love to help!